Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Jan 21, 2012

Fun with Beetroots - Part 2: Beetroot soup



So, here is the second recipe with beetroots. It was a bit inspired by Borscht, but I didn't want to make such a complicated dish today. I was more thinking of something really quick and simple but warming, especially with nasty weather like this. I still had one cooked beetroot and a couple of potatoes from yesterdays dinner. So, this soup is what I came up with:

Ingredients:

  • one cooked beetroot (medium size, two small ones otherwise)
  • 2 boiled potatoes
  • 1 leek, trimmed, only the white part
  • 500 ml beef stock
  • 100 ml cream
  • 2 tbsp soured cream
  • pepper

And how I made it:

  • cut the beetroot and the potatoes into small chunks
  • simmer in the stock for 15 mins, until soft
  • now, blend everything (be careful with splashes, otherwise everything gets a nice pink colour!)
  • with the cream, there are two options - easy one is, just add and stir through, second one is whip the cream and then add carefully to the soup, gives a lighter texture, more like a foam
  • before serving add soured cream and pepper
That's it - simple as that. Believe me, the soup has a vivid pink colour, but the picture won't bring it out (due to the bad light from outside....)

No comments:

Post a Comment