Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Feb 8, 2012

Choux-Pastry (Brandteig)



Hi Everyone, I attempted this for the first time. Always thought it is very hard to get it right, but I tell you what, it is so easy! Choux pastry can be transformed into eclairs, profiteroles or german Windbeutel, also croqueembouche (but I wouldn't make one of those....)
I chose to make a hybrid between profiterols and Windbeutel and I froze them straight away. They thaw without damage and that way I always have something for desert in case of surprise guests!

So here the ingredients for the Choux pastry:

  • 100 g plain flour
  • 75 g unsalted butter
  • 175 mL water
  • 1/4 tspn salt
  • 3 eggs, beaten

Method:

  • put salt, butter and water in a pan and warm gently until the butter is molten and then quickly bring to boil
  • add all the flour in one go, remove from heat and beat until you have a smooth dough
  • put back on heat and stirr for another 2-5 mins, it is supposed to transform into a glossy ball and come easily off the sides of the pan
  • let cool completely
  • add small portions of the egg and stirr vigorously after each addition
  • the dough should be still firm enough to be piped out, so stop the egg addition, if the mixture becomes to liquid
  • pipe onto a grease proof paper and follow the cooking instructions

Cooking instructions:

  • for profiterols or croqueembouche pipe out small heaps of max 2cm diameter (they grow quite a bit)
  • for eclairs pipe out ~8 cm lines
  • bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C (no fan!!!) for 15 mins
  • open the oven door to release steam and continue baking fo 5-10 mins at 180 °C
  • take out of the oven and make a hole in each bun/eclair, so the steam can evaporate
  • bake for another 10-15 mins
  • make absolutely sure, they are cooked completely through, they will collapse otherwise! If you think they are ready, give them an extra 5 mins
  • let cool completely on a wire rack before filling

For the fillings:

  • custard for eclairs (thick, more pastelike custard)
  • whipped cream for Windbeutel
  • crème anglais for profiterols, plus molten chocolate on top
  • a mixture of mascarpone cheese and whipped cream with vanilla for my "hybrid version" + molten chocolate mixture on top (50 g dark chocolate, 1 tbsp water and 25 g butter)
  • or whatever you like! shouldn't be to liquidy though :-)
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment