Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Jan 21, 2012

Fun with Beetroots - Part 1: Red Hering Salad

My last post has been some time ago, so I thought I update you on my experiences with beetroot. As some of you know, each week I receive a "surprise vegetable&fruit box" and this time it included two beetroots. The first idea that sprang to my mind was a raw beet root carpaccio, the second was roasted beets. However, this is exactly what I have done the last two times with beet roots. So here is something else, two simple recipes, starting with a fabulous red hering salad.



Ingredients:

  • 4 large hering filets (either in brine or in oil, they should be salty)
  • 1 apple, I use Braeburn here, but anything similiar will do, just shouldn't be too sweet
  • 1 onion
  • 1 cooked beetroot (cook for 20 mins and then peel)
  • 100 g yoghurt
  • 100 g soured cream
  • 100 g Schmand (I don't know if there is an english equivalent, i would just double the amount of soured cream)
  • salt, black pepper and a pinch of sugar
The assembly

  • cut the fish, the beetroot and the apple into dice
  • cut the onion into halves and then finely slice
  • mix everything in a bowl, than add the dairy products
  • add the spices to your taste
  • put in the refrigerator for at least half an hour
That's it, optionally you can also chop in a boiled egg, I do prefer it on the side though. Serve with dark rye bread, preferably with Pumpernickl, if you can get hold of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment