Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Sep 12, 2012

Lime Cupcakes

Hello, hello :-)

Another thing I got in masses from the market is limes. So apart from adding limes to my water and adding lime juice to my fruit salad, I have been looking a long time for a good recipe for lime cupcakes. And this is what I found somewhere in the internet. As usual, I have made some changes.

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 heaped tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 60 g unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • zest and juice of two limes (or more to taste)
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
  • for the frosting: 60 g unsalted butter, 1 cup powder sugar, juice of 1-2 limes

And how to make them:

  • pre-heat the oven to 175 °C
  • sift flour into a bowl and add baking powder and salt
  • in another bowl whisk the butter until fluffy and slowly add the sugar
  • when finished add the lime zest and small portions of the lime juice. At this stage, the mixture might look curdled, but don't worry, it will come back together
  • next, add 1/3 of the flour mix, followed by half of the buttermilk, another 1/3 of the flour mix, buttermilk and last portion of the flour mix
  • don't overwork the batter, rather mix with a rubber spatula after the last bit of flour is just incorporated
  • divide the batter between 12 large or 24 micro muffin cups, place in muffin tray and bake for 25-30 mins (micro ones for 15-20 mins)
  • while the cakes are baking, prepare the frosting
  • whisk the butter until it becomes lighter in texture and colour
  • add powder sugar in small portions until the buttercream looks just a bit dry (but not crumbly)
  • next add lime juice little by little until you reach a smooth texture and the aciditiy you are looking for
  • place in a piping bag and set aside until the cakes are ready and cooled
  • once they are completely cool, pipe the frosting and add decoration (if wanted, candied lime peel works well)
Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment