Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Oct 22, 2012

Cinnamon rolls - Cinnabuns - Zimtschnecken

Hi all,

as promised, I have tried out my long existing recipe for cinnamon rolls this weekend and after making a batch, I really can't remember, why I ever hesitated to make them in the first place!
I finished them off with a cream cheese frosting, however, this is just a little more decadent and you could survive without. I haven't tried them with soy milk, but I would assume it would work equally well.


So, as usual, ingredients first:

  • 3/4 cups of milk
  • 1/4 cup softened margerine
  • 3 1/4 cups flour (non-raising), maybe extra
  • 1 pack of dried yeast or half a cube fresh yeast
  • 1/4 cup caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 medium sized egg
  • and for the filling you will need 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon, 1/2 cup margarine or butter, 1 cup of brown sugar, if you can, choose muscavado

Ok and the making of it:



  • heat milk in a small pan until it bubbles, then take of heat and stir margarine in until melted; let cool to lukewarm
  • meanwhile, mix 2 1/4 cups of flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl and combine well
  • add water, egg and milk-mixture and beat well, you should have a liquidy dough
  • now add the remaining flour slowly until you have a smooth dough; you might have to add more than the recipe says, depending on the egg and how exact you keep to the measurements using a cup
  • once in a smooth dough, take it out of the bowl and get your hands in, means, kneading time on a floured surface for at least 5 mins, better 10
  • cover with a damp cloth and set aside
  • now mix all the ingredients for the filling together, so it becomes a spreadable mixture; you might want to vary on the amount of cinnamon here, it really depends on your own taste
  • now role the dough out into a rectangle shape, make sure to have enough height to be able to roll it a couple of times
  • spread the filling evenly over the whole dough and begin rolling it up
  • pinch the end to make sure they won't come apart 
  • cut slices of roughly 2-3 cm; the amount of rolls will vary with the width of your previously shaped rectangle, I got something like 18 out
  • now place the rolls carefully on a greased baking sheet, keeping then roughly 2 cms apart from each other
  • cover with a damp cloth and set aside until risen so much, that they touch each other
  • preheat the oven to 190 °C and bake for 30 mins until golden brown
  • let cool and prepare the frosting by combining all the following ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
  • 1/2 cup softened margarine or butter
  • 75 g cream cheese
  • 1/2 pack vanilla sugar or half a tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • once finished, drizzle over the buns as you like
  • and finally you are finished and can indulge :-)
  • this should take roughly 90 mins alltogether and believe me, it is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment