Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Oct 27, 2012

Thai-spiced squash soup


Hi everyone,

soup time has arrived with the low temperatures. At least, we don't have any snow in Berlin yet, as in other parts of Germany! At this time of the year, I just like to cuddle up inside with a cozy blanket, a good book and a proper warming soup. I remembered, that a friend of mine made a thai squash soup last year, and I have found a recipe on BBC GoodFood as well. I though I give it a go as I have recently purchased a beautiful butternut squash at the market. As usual, I didn't stick to the recipe, but for anyone interested, here is the link: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775669/thai-pumpkin-soup
I found that the addition of fish sauce gives it just that slightly better thai flavour.

So, ingredients:

  • 1 small or half a medium-size butternut squash, peeled and cut into rough chunks
  • 1 can of coconut milk
  • 500 mL of vegetable stock
  • 1 tbsp grated ginger
  • some chili flakes to taste
  • 3 or 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped if fresh or shredded if dried
  • thai red curry paste (1 tbsp or less)
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tsp palm or brown sugar
  • lime juice

And how I made it:

  • place the squash chunks with some vegetable oil in a preheated oven at 175 °C
  • bake until soft and slightly browned
  • fry the ginger, the chili flakes and the lime leaves in some oil
  • add the curry paste, stir and then the squash
  • add the stock, followed by the coconut milk 
  • simmer for ten minutes on a low heat, so all the flavours can develop
  • add the fish sauce and the sugar
  • simmer for another 2 mins
  • take off the heat and blend everything, the texture should be not to liquidy but smooth, add more stock if needed
  • serve into individual bowls and add lime juice to taste


Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment