Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Feb 7, 2013

Finnish Oat Cookies


Me again, it seems to become a habit :-)
I was out of cookies! Seriously, this is an issue, it's almost as bad as being out od chocolate. Fortunately, I had all the ingredients at home to make some myself. Usually in this kind of occasions I either make yummy shortbread or american style cookies. This time I opted for something very different scandinavian style oat cookies. I have eaten them before and they were always good. So after some internet research I found a recipe easy enough to follow. But as usual (I don't know, what this is with me..) I just couldn't stick to the recipe... However, for those of you interested, this is the original post, note it is in German:

Finnische Haferkekse

Here is how I changed the ingredients list:

  • 50 g butter
  • 60 g oats ( I used the coarse ones I usually have in the morning for my porridge)
  • 80 g brown sugar
  • 30 g honey (or golden syrup)
  • 1 heaped tbsp flour ( I "made" oat flour here, just blend 1 heaped tbsp of oats in the blender real fine, but regular wheat flour works well)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg

And how I made them:

  • mix the oats with the brown sugar, the flour and the baking powder
  • melt the butter with the honey on a low heat, let then cool to hand warm
  • stir the butter mix in the oats mix and combine thoroughly
  • when cooled, add the egg and mix until smooth
  • here is now another change I made: let the dough sit for 20 mins to allow the oats to dwell, the result is a slightly thicker dough as before
  • pre-heat the oven to 225 °C
  • line a baking tray with greaseproof paper 
  • and now another change to the original recipe: I poured the whole mixture out on the sheet and distributed it equally, the original post says set small amounts with a tsp on the sheet. The first one will give you one giant cookie that I have then cut into squares, the last one gives you round cookies
  • now bake for 5-7 mins, don't leave the oven, they brown very quickly!
  • then take out, let cool a bit
  • if you have poured the whole lot out, then now cut the shapes you want before the cookies are cold and therefore crack easily OR wait until completely cool and break random bits of, so you get a random shaped selection of cookies
  • if you made the round version, just let the cool on the sheet before stacking them
That's it. Very simple. Can be done in 15 mins total time. No electric mixer needed. I have mine with a cup of tea (how could it be any different...) or a coffee. Also, they keep quite long in a tin, if you manage to keep away from them long enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment