Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Dec 10, 2011

Shortbread

Shortbread is most definitely one of my favorite biscuit types. For some reason, I never attempted to make them myself though. Last weekend, I had a first attempt - and let me say, it is really easy!


The ones I have made include stem ginger, but I will try different types, including plain shortbread.


Ingredients:
  • 200 g soft unsalted butter
  • 100 g caster sugar (plus extra for sprinkling if wanted)
  • 260 g plain flour
  • 40 g rice flour (I make this myself - just blend rice in the blender)
  • good pinch of salt
  • extra: 40 g of either chopped stem ginger, chocolate, chopped pistacchios, nuts etc.
Method:
  • mix the soft butter and the sugar until creamy and smooth
  • sift the flour and the rice flour in the bowl, add the salt and any extra ingredients
  • now get in with your hands, bring all the ingredients together and knead until you get a homogeneous dough
  • roll into a log shape, wrap in clingfilm and put in the freezer for 20 mins.
  • after cooling, unwrap the dough and with a sharp knife, cut slices of roughly 1 cm 
  • set on a greased baking tray and bake for roughly 20 mins at 170 °C or until firm but not browned
  • after baking sprinkle with sugar and let cool completely on a wire rack for the shortbread to firm up
  • store in an airtight container
That's it, which ingredients would you add? I think I will try cinnamon and dried apples next.

No comments:

Post a Comment