The ones I have made include stem ginger, but I will try different types, including plain shortbread.
- 200 g soft unsalted butter
- 100 g caster sugar (plus extra for sprinkling if wanted)
- 260 g plain flour
- 40 g rice flour (I make this myself - just blend rice in the blender)
- good pinch of salt
- extra: 40 g of either chopped stem ginger, chocolate, chopped pistacchios, nuts etc.
- mix the soft butter and the sugar until creamy and smooth
- sift the flour and the rice flour in the bowl, add the salt and any extra ingredients
- now get in with your hands, bring all the ingredients together and knead until you get a homogeneous dough
- roll into a log shape, wrap in clingfilm and put in the freezer for 20 mins.
- after cooling, unwrap the dough and with a sharp knife, cut slices of roughly 1 cm
- set on a greased baking tray and bake for roughly 20 mins at 170 °C or until firm but not browned
- after baking sprinkle with sugar and let cool completely on a wire rack for the shortbread to firm up
- store in an airtight container