Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Dec 18, 2011

Macaroons!!!! With Peanutbutter-Chocolate Ganache filling

My first real macaroons! They probably didn't turn out as pretty as they are in the shops, but I am a bit proud, they worked at all.

After reading up on macaroons for a while, I thought it was about time to get on it. With the Ganache in my hands, what better reason was there?

I decided for the french version, I am not so fond of making sugar syrup for the italian one.

Ingredients:
  • 2 egg whites
  • 30 g fine granuled caster sugar
  • 140 g icing sugar
  • 85 g of finely ground almonds (I used the ones with skin on, but I think it makes prettier macaroons, if you use the ones without skin)
  • pinch of salt

And how I made them (I emphasise on "I" because I know there might be better ways!)

  • whisk the egg whites whith a pinch of salt on a low speed until there are stiff peaks appearing
  • without stopping to whisk, add the caster sugar bit by bit, so you receive a glossy texture
  • in a food processor, bleng almonds and icing sugar into a very fine powder
  • now with a spatula, fold in 1/4 of the almond mixture, when done, add another portion until everything is incorporated. You should have a soft but not liquid dough
  • spoon mixture in a piping bag (I put mine in a glass, and fold over the end, so I have a support)
  • pipe small circles of even size on a baking tray lined with grease proof paper (some people like to draw circles on the paper before piping out)
  • now important: bang the tray on your work top, so the air bubbles come up
  • let dry until there is a skin formed on the macaroons, this is important, otherwise they will crack (mine did, there wasn't enough skin formed because I was impatient). this might take 20 mins to up to an hour
  • once dried enough, bake in a preheated oven at 150 °C (don't use a fan) for roughly 15 mins (check that they don't get browned and don't crack
  • when ready, take out and let cool on a wire rack
  • when completely cooled, fill with whatever filling you have in mind, I used the ganache described before!
Even though mine cracked - for a first attempt, I think they are very delicious. I surely will try to make a few other batches, different fillings and so on. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment