Ok, here we have the first of hopefully a few christmas recipes. It is definitely one of my favorites and a famous christmas cookie in Germany - Zimtsterne.
Once baked, keep them in a tin so they won't dry out and get hard. The softer they are, the better is the taste.
Here are the ingredients:
- 3 egg whites
- 250 g icing sugar
- 250 g ground almonds (skin on)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- additional 200 g of ground almonds
- whip the eggwhites with the icing sugar into a firm, glossy mass, of that mixture take one cup full and put aside
- to the rest, add the 250 g of ground almonds and fold them in carefully, add the cinnamon
- cover the work bench with more ground almonds and put on the dough, patting it down to roughly 1cm in height
- spread the extra egg mixture evenly on top and cut out star shapes and set them on a greased baking tray
- let them dry out a bit before baking them for 7-8 mins in the oven (160 °C)