Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Nov 19, 2011

Pizza

Tonight I fancied Pizza. Sometimes I just go and get one from the italian restaurant at the corner, but today I felt like making one myself. Also, it is a very good way to get rid of left overs from your fridge.
There are plenty of ways how to make a pizza,  this is my way.

Ingredients:

For the Dough:
  • 300 g plain flour
  • 125 mL warm water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 5 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 sachet of dried yeast or half a cube of fresh yeast

For the sauce
  • 3 fresh tomatoes, chopped up (alternatively also canned tomatoes)
  • 1 tbsp of tomato purée
  • 1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped up
  • 1/2 large white onion, cut into small dice
  • 1 tbsp oregano (dried or fresh and chopped)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • good pinch of black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sugar

And the topping:
Depends on what you like, for the pizza here I used mushrooms, tuna, olives, caperberries, onions and grated emmentaler cheese

How to make the dough:
  • sift flour in a bowl and make a well in the middle
  • add the oil and salt and pepper on the outer rim 
  • add the water (should be at least hand warm, but not hot) in the well and add sugar
  • crumble fresh yeast in water or add dried yeast
  • then with your fingers add more and more flour from the sides to the water mix to form a dough
  • knead for a bit and let rise for at least half an hour (the dough should double in size)

How to make the sauce:

  • heat a tsp of olive oil in a pan, add the onions and garlic to soften them
  • before the onions turn brown, stirr in the tomato puree and the fresh tomatoes
  • add herbs and spices and put a lid on
  • let the mixture simmer on a low heat, until the tomatoes are soft, then take lid off and reduce the liquid so that you obtain a "ketchup" like consistency
Finally:

  • knead the dough again, then roll it out on a greased baking tray, any shape you prefer
  • spread the tomato sauce, but don't add too much, otherwise the dough will get soggy
  • distribute the toppings but again, don't add too much
  • add a bit of oregano to your own taste and a bit olive oil
  • finally spread the grated cheese
  • bake in a pre-heated oven (I use 150 °C fan oven) for as long as it takes, I would think mine took about 15-20 mins.
And finally, enjoy your Pizza! ( I have mine with a glass of Grauburgunder since it is a tuna pizza)

No comments:

Post a Comment