Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Nov 15, 2011

Stem Gingernuts



So, here is another one. A recipe I got on my last trip to Nottingham from Ellie, which in turn got it from the following Book: The Great British Book of Baking. I have changed it slightly as not all ingredients are available in Germany and also I preferred some changes to the spices.




Ingredients:

  • 350 g self-raising flour (if in Germany, use normal flour and add half a pack of baking powder extra)
  • 1 Tbsp of ground ginger (I add it only if I don't have stem ginger, otherwise it is too strong, I rather add the same amount of cinnamon and or cardamom)
  • 1 Tsp. of baking powder
  • 200 g caster sugar
  • 115 g unsalted butter
  • 85 g golden syrup (basically not existing in Germany, but you can add either runny honey or Zuckerrübensirup)
  • 1 M egg, beaten
  • 35 g stem ginger, drained + finely chopped ( if I don't have any, I use candied or dried ginger or I use fresh ginger soaked in honey over night)
  • 3 baking trays, greased with butter
And how to make them:
  • preheat oven to 170 °C (150 °C with fan)
  • melt butter and syrup on a low heat and then set aside until handwarm
  • mix flour, ginger (or any spice) powder and baking powder together in a bowl
  • mix the syrup butter mixture with beaten egg and add to the flour, mix with a wooden spoon (haven't quite found out why it has to be a wooden one here, any ideas?)
  • add the stem ginger and mix thoroughly
  • roll into walnut size balls and set them well apart on the baking tray (careful, they spread quite a bit!)
  • bake for 15 to 20 mins, take them out and let them cool completely before eating (give yourself something else to do during that time... :-))


That's it, 3 of us have tried them and like them, so give them a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment