Welcome!

I am really passionate about my cooking and I do like to share recipes with other cooks and bakers. This is my idea of how to do this. I hope you like it and will contribute with your own recipes! Simply comment or send me an email, I will put them up asap. Enjoy cooking!

Nov 14, 2011

Tom Yam Gai

So, some of you might know, that I am quite fond of Thai cuisine. Here is a warming and simple soup that is a standard in Thai kitchens and sold on the streets. There are many different versions of this and I am sure there might be better ones, but, this recipe works well for me.





Ingredients:
  • 1 chicken breast (without skin)
  • 1 L of chicken stock
  • 4 spring onions, sliced
  • 2 stalks of lemongrass, cut into 2 cm long pieces and smashed with the knife to release the flavour
  • 1 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
  • 2 Kaffir-lime leaves, fresh (frozen) or dried, both will do
  • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp of fish sauce
  • 1 Tbsp of palm sugar (or really any sugar)
  • juice of 1 lime (is sometimes use more, depends on the lime)
  • fresh coriander
And here is how it goes:
  • boil chicken in stock for 10-15 mins
  • take out and add spring onions, lemongrass, lime leaves, garlic and chili to the stock and simmer for another 10 mins
  • meanwhile, cut the chicken into thin slices
  • add the chicken again, together with fish sauce and sugar (here it is really up to your taste how much you use), simmer for 5 mins
  • turn the heat off and add lime juice, followed by chopped coriander (if you don't like coriander, try thai basil or even flatleave parsley)
  • eat while piping hot, otherwise it isn't as tasty
I get most ingredients in an Asia shop, in UK I used to get most of the things from the supermarket, hence, it was a bit easier. I think everyone has to play around a bit with the ingredients, sometimes I also add mushrooms or sprouts. It is a hot&sour soup and how much of both really depends on your own tastebuds.

Also, I will put a picture up next time I make the soup, which is happening often enough during winter ;-)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment